There are many issues that Senators McCain and Obama take different positions on that people of good will and faith can disagree on. Issues like taxes, the war on terrorism, poverty and the best way to deal with the economic challenges we have. This is a historic campaign. Senator Obama’s candidacy is of particular interest to me. First, because America is demonstrating that progress in overcoming racism is slowly being made and secondly, there is desire for transformation in American society.
But there is one issue that it is very difficult for me to understand how evangelicals and pro-life voters can support Senator Obama’s position on; the issue of abortion. I have read books, newspaper articles and listened to people who are willing to uncomfortably overlook the Senator’s position regarding abortion because they favor his view on the above mentioned issues.
When it comes to human life, I am a one issue voter. How can pro-life voters, especially pro-life Catholics and evangelicals, support Senator Obama?
There are laws protecting dogs and cats from evil people who intentionally inflict pain upon these creatures. It is absurd to not offer the same protection from cruelty to these most defenseless and silent among us. Even if the Senator could end the war successfully, balance the budget and free us from foreign oil dependency, I could not support a candidacy so hostile to the unborn human being.
“Barack Obama is the most extreme pro-abortion candidate to ever seek the office of the President of the United States. He is the most extreme pro-abortion member of the United States Senate. Indeed, he is the most extreme pro-abortion legislator to ever serve in either house of the Unites States Congress.” So says Dr. Robert P. George, the McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence at Princeton University.
Here is what Dr. George points out in a brief paper I would strongly encourage you to read.
1. He supports the repeal of the Hyde amendment, which protects pro-life citizens from having to pay for abortions that are not necessary to save the life of the mother and are not the result of rape or incest.
2. He has promised that “the first thing I’d do as President is sign the Freedom of Choice Act. This proposed legislation would create a federally guaranteed “fundamental right to abortion through all nine months of pregnancy.
3. He wishes to strip federal funding from pro-life pregnancy centers that provide alternatives to abortion for pregnant women in need.
4. He had not endorsed or offered support for the Pregnant Women Support Act, meant to reduce abortions by providing assistance for women facing crisis pregnancies.
5. Senator Obama opposed legislation to protect children who are born alive, either as a result of an abortionist’s unsuccessful effort to kill them in the womb, or by the deliberate delivery of baby prior to viability.
6. He has co-sponsored a bill that would authorize the large scale industrial production of human embryos for use in biomedical research in which they would be killed.
Hopefully you will read the complete article and share it with your friends. At the end of this post, is the address to Dr. George’s article.
I have come to the conclusion that Senator Obama’s pro-life supporters have been deceived by rhetoric and wishful thinking. Further, I think they have forgotten, just how long a president’s legacy lasts due to the appointment of Supreme Court Justices. Associate Justice, John Paul Stevens was seated almost thirty years ago, when Gerald Ford was President. I hope that pro-life voters will not lose our commitment to life as we work on other important issues as well.
“So love truth and peace.” Zechariah 8:19c (NLT)
To access the article copy this link into your web browser.