Water is the best way to hydrate your body or quench your thirst. Your body craves water. More than 50% of your body is water. God created us so that we crave fluids, hopefully you are hydrating with water throughout the day. It is socially cool to carry a water bottle with you. It is a sign you are grateful for your health, and if you carry a refillable water bottle you are practicing environmental stewardship.
My doctor advised me to drink a gallon of water a day. To drink a gallon of water a day means I start with a quart of water and lemon juice in the morning. Throughout the day, I sip water all day. I down that gallon. It is not only a habit but a small pleasure. I want water, I mean really want it. It’s a great habit. You can guess the only downside.
I want my relationship with God to be like that, a big start to the day, and throughout the day taking time to remember Him. I have to choose during the day to be aware of God’s presence, take time to worship, to give thanks, to talk with him about what I doing. [For instance, I talked with Him about this blog post. Don’t blame him for my writing by the way.] It’s not only a habit, but it is the greatest joy of life to live in His presence. When I lay down at time, I want to have drunk deeply of God’s presence all day long.
At first drinking a gallon of water a day was a challenge. Learning to live with a God conscious lifestyle was too. It’s not weird, it’s just far superior to living with a self conscious life style.
Although I get thirsty, I have never known real thirst from a lack of availability of water. It’s what David must have in mind with this imagery. “O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water.” Psalm 63:1
Jesus promised to never leave or forsake us, but He does lead us through some dry places in life, to increase our capacity to “drink in His presence.” Don’t be discouraged if you feel like you are in a dry place, God has not forsaken you, just be aware in wherever and whatever you are doing God is with you.
If you want to drink a gallon of water a day, here’s how I began. My doctors have told me this is really good for me.
- I bought a Contingo Water bottle, that I still use. I use filtered water from the tap.
- Lemon Juice or Lime Juice in the morning (two tablespoons / quart)
- I began with a quart of water with my coffee during my morning prayer and Bible study. Drink just a little at the time until you are use to drinking a quart in the morning.
- Set a goal for 8 glasses a day to begin with. If you begin with a full gallon you will wash out your electrolytes. That happened to me.
- I keep water close at hand all day. I still drink a full glass before I go to bed. For some people it might be wise to stop at 6 PM less you find yourself waking up during the night to go to the toilet.
- I eat at least three servings of fruit, it has the added benefit of water.
- After each cup of coffee I drink a glass of water.
- My fitnesspal app on my phone (for food and water tracking)